Thursday, December 06, 2012

A Grateful December – Day 6 – Civil Rights & Liberties

"In North America we have so many civil rights and liberties.  Consider the rights we sometimes take for granted."

Can you believe that it wasn't until 1960 that all women in Canada were allowed to vote? Can you believe that it has been much less than a century since women have been considered "persons?"
Those facts are quite staggering to me.  I'm thankful that I can't wrap my head around the fact that these were things that needed changing.

Do you know what else floors me each and every time I think of it?  I can't even conceive of a world where I would have to scrimp and borrow to take care of a medical condition.  I don't even know how to key it.  I can't imagine saving up money to afford to have a baby.
We are living in a charmed continent where hockey lock-outs, new furniture stores and Black Fridays consume our minds.

We're a lucky bunch, and I am thankful to realize it.

No comments: