Sunday, October 13, 2013

30 Days of Gratitude - Day 13 - Tough Lessons

"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.” -Buddha
Life is not always an easy path. But gratitude is not just for appreciating the gifts and pleasures that we receive. Hard gratitude can only come from the trying situations and experiences that impact our life. In really tough moments, gratitude is a hard choice - though sometimes it is the only choice we have left. Do you have an appreciation from a tough life lesson? Now may be a good time to contemplate it.
Truth be told, I'm a pretty lucky girl.  But I don't always realize this. I remember talking with someone - and talking about how "we all have weirdnesses."  I wasn't sure I liked that idea, but in the end, I agreed that maybe, just maybe, I might have some weirdnesses of my own. 

Just between you and me - and 400 odd Facebook friends - I can occasionally get a bit wound up about things. And I can occasionally hold out until I get my way.  And because it has never been much of an issue, I've never given it much thought.  Well - recently I had to be the one at the "giving space" end of things.  I'd never been there before. (True story!)  I wasn't entirely certain what was going on to start - nor did I know what was going on with the feelings I was feeling.

At one point I realized that I could validate another's needs - and while it didn't start feeling natural - it did feel good to know that I had what it takes to give to others.  It also felt amazing to realize that so many have done this for me.

I've always been a "youngest child."  And I know that this has afforded me a lot of luxuries.

I'm thankful today to have the opportunity to realize some of them specifically, and to be grateful for them.

No comments: